Hello Families! Tomorrow we are hosting Invitations and we’re so excited! Here is the link to see all the offerings and the Webex room links your child will use to get into the Invitation of their choice: Invitations for Thursday, November 19. We’ll start promptly at 11am on Thursday.
For Kindergarten families,Invitations is likely new to you unless you have an older child at Amity. For those new to Invitations here’s a basic description we use to explain this special part of our schedule: Each day in the afternoon (when in-person) teachers offer a variety of activities to choose from and students get to choose what activity they’d like to engage in. The activities are multi-aged and range from things like art projects and board games, to outdoor games and walk-abouts in the neighborhood, or a trip to the library downtown (we are within walking distance). Once again, this is a time when each child gets to choose for themselves how they wish to spend the time. Given that we are not physically at school, this will look a little different in virtual form. Please help your child choose an activity they want to join and show them how to get to the appropriate Webex room. Thanks, and enjoy!
World Kindness Day was celebrated last Friday and the Amity staff wanted to take a moment to share some thoughts about kindness with all of you.
Shopping Amazon this holiday season? ANote from Friends of Amity Just a reminder if you’re shopping for holiday gifts on Amazon this season to please consider signing up for AmazonSmile and choosing Friends of Amity (Bend, OR) as your charity of choice. Every purchase you make will directly benefit the school! Start here if you are not already a Amazon Smile member: smile.amazon.com Thanks, Erin and the FOA Board.
Have a wonderful, safe, and joyful Thanksgiving Break!
Hello Amity Families! I hope this message finds you happy and healthy. As always we are missing you all so much and thinking about you constantly! It was great to see so many Grade 2-5 families on Friday for packet pick-up; these short little in-person connections are precious to us!
I came across the image above over the weekend and couldn’t help but be reminded of what Amity Creek is all about. It’s challenging to engage in all that we hold sacred as a school and community when we are at a distance, but we remain committed to whole child education and the tenants of what that means! I want to share a few bits of information this week: 1) Invitations this week on Thursday, 11-11:30am! We are so excited about this! Please take a few minutes to look through the offerings ahead of time so your child is ready to go on Thursday. You will use the Webex links on this document to access the invitations being offered. I’ll resend this link on Wednesday afternoon as back-up, but please make sure to share this with your child early this week: Invitations for Thursday, November 19.
2) How will the latest restrictions (see them here: restrictions) shared by the governor last week impact school, you ask? Governor Brown did not mention closing schools in her new restrictions, nor have the ODE (Oregon Department of Education) guidance and metrics changed. However, teachers are now being asked to work from home if feasible, but Patti and I will continue to be at school–we are alternating days so there will always be someone in the office and answering the phone. We will continue with Limited In Person Instruction (LIPI) for students with whom we are already working. If there are changes to this situation we will update you. Please also be on the look out for a message from Superintendent Lora Norquist.
3) Scholastic Book Fair continues this week. If you haven’t had a chance to visit our virtual book fair please find some time this week to have a look. This is a “Book Raiser” event for Amity as the more books ordered by our community, the more free books we are able to order! Thanks for supporting Amity Creek! The fair is open through Sunday, November 22. https://www.scholastic.com/bf/amitycreekmagnetschool1
Upcoming November 16-22: Scholastic Book Fair continues November 19: School Wide Invitations! 11-11:30am November 23-27: Thanksgiving Break, NO SCHOOL December 21-Jan 1: Winter Break, NO SCHOOL
In case we don’t connect before the end of the week, I hope you have a wonderful (modified) Thanksgiving!
Honoring Loved Ones In honor of Dia de los Muertos, or Day of the Dead, celebrated in Mexico in early November we have in recent years created Ofrendas like the one pictured above; however, this year we have created a virtual Ofrenda. Ofrendas (ofrenda means offering in Spanish), are an essential part of the Day of the Dead celebrations. While they are also called alters, they are not for worship or religious purposes, but rather a way to honor and keep the memory of loved ones in the present. Ofrendas are constructed to remember and honor the memory of ancestors and loved ones that have passed. It is a beautiful ritual, and one that truly honors those that have been a part of our personal history and journey. This year we have given folks the opportunity to add a few words about each picture if desired. A big thank you to all who participated, it is an honor to share this with you!
Hello Creeker Families, I had hoped to have exciting news to share with you about re-opening schools as a result of the new metrics shared by the governor last week, but unfortunately even with the new metrics in place the new cases in Deschutes County are too high. We’re going to stay positive and hopeful that the new metrics will work in our favor soon! We hope you, too, can stay positive like Violet and Blaze (pictured above)!
A few things to share with you this week:
1) EXCITING NEWS: The Amity staff will be hosting Invitations on Thursday, November 19. This will happen during the “regular” school day and there will be many great offerings that we will share with you and the kiddos the week of November 16. We will send out a list of all the Invitations being offered and links to the Webex rooms for the various teachers. We’re really excited about this and hope your kids are too!
2) Adding to the Ofrenda. Last week I shared information about creating a virtual Ofrenda in honor of Dia de Los Muertos (Day of the Dead). I am reposting the information in hopes you may choose to participate:
Honoring Loved Ones This time of year in Mexico they celebrate Dia de los Muertos, or Day of the Dead. Part of this celebration is the Ofrenda. Ofrendas (ofrenda means offering in Spanish), are an essential part of the Day of the Dead celebrations. While they are also called alters, they are not for worship or religious purposes, but rather a way to honor and keep the memory of loved ones in the present. Ofrendas are constructed to remember and honor the memory of ancestors and loved ones that have passed. It is a beautiful ritual, and one that truly honors those that have been a part of our personal history and journey.
Adding to the Ofrenda (if we were together in person) One way that people participate in creating an ofrenda is by sharing a photograph of someone they’d like to honor; and in keeping this kid friendly this could also be a family pet that is no longer living, too. The idea is to honor our loved ones who are no longer with us. Things people also typically add to the Ofrenda: *Candles and incense *Flowers, usually marigolds *A trinket that reminds a person of their loved one, something that the person they’re honoring enjoyed in life–could be something as simple as a food they loved, a golf tee, a deck of cards, or anything that reminds them of the person. Here is the ofrenda from last year:
So, how can you participate this year? This will be very easy–simply send me a photo of a loved one you’d like to honor and I will be creating an ofrenda collage using your photos. Just snap a photo of your photo with your phone or camera and send it to me with a short description of the person November 2nd through the 8th. My email: [email protected]. During the week of November 9th I will share the collage with all of you! I sincerely hope you consider participating.
3) Amity Creek Virtual Scholastic Book Fair We are still having our annual book fair, it’s just going to be virtual this year! The fair goes live on the 9th and we’ll send a link that morning–be on the lookout! We call this a “Book Raiser” because the more books purchased by the Amity community, the more books we are able to buy for the Amity library. Stay tuned!
4) Important Documents to Share I had readied the following documents in anticipation of a return to school and I still want to share them with you now. One is the safety plan for Amity Creek (at North Star), one is the Ready/Set/Learn, Bend La Pine’s Return to School Document, and the last one is the new metrics shared by the governor last Friday. There is a lot of very important information about safely returning to school! Please take some time to read through these important documents and do not hesitate to reach out with questions you may have.
Upcoming: November 11: Veteran’s Day, NO SCHOOL November 13: Packet Pick-up, 1-3pm (tentative, to be confirmed closer to the date) November 19: School Wide Invitations! November 23-27: Thanksgiving Break, NO SCHOOL December 21-Jan 1: Winter Break, NO SCHOOL