PHILOSOPHY: Our philosophy is to create and implement a positive athletic cross-country program, whereby student athletes will enjoy running, compete and work together with positive attitudes as a team while having FUN.
REQUIREMENTS TO PARTICIPATE:
- These THREE requirements must be completed before your athlete will be eligible to participate in practices and meets for the 2018-2019 school year.
1) Registration – mandatory first step – complete the online registration through FamilyID
• FamilyID Technical Support – call 888.800.5583 or email [email protected] if you need assistance with the online registration.
2) Payment – Pay-to-Play fee is $40.00 per sport offered through Cascade Middle School. • Online payment (preferred) can be made at https://touchbase.bend.k12.or.us
• Payment can be made at the main office if necessary.
• Exception – If you are signing up for a sport through Bend Park and Recreation District, please register and pay the fee directly to BPRD.
3) Sports Physical – A current sports physical must be turned in to the main office before an athlete is eligible to participate in practices and events. The OSAA Sports Physical Form can be downloaded from the school and district websites.
• 6th and 7th graders need a physical dated 5/1/18 or later
• 8th graders need a physical dated 5/1/17 or later.
• Any physical on file dated prior to these dates will be considered expired.
Please visit the CMS website for more information under the Student Life/Athletics tab at www.bend.k12.or.us/cascade
Questions? Please call Brenda Spreier, Athletic Secretary, at 541.355.7004 or email at [email protected]
XC MEET ELIGIBILITY:
The following will be taken into consideration when determining an athlete’s eligibility to participate in xc meets:
- Good attendance and being on time for all practices.
If an athlete is going to miss practice, a note from a parent/guardian is required to excuse the absence or it will be considered an unexcused absence. All athletes will need to be at practice until 4:15pm or it will be considered a missed practice unless arrangements have been made. If you need to leave practice before 3:45pm, please do not attend practice that day as we will be out on a run. Please prearrange absences by emailing Coach Boon or Coach Morris.
Students must be in attendance at school all day to participate in any school-sponsored activity including athletics. The only exception to this OSAA (Oregon School Activities Association) rule is for a doctor or dentist appointment.
In addition, students are allowed ONE excused absence per week. We understand choir, soccer, and dance as well as other activities are important however, athletes MUST be at practice three out of the four days to participate in a cross country meet for the following week and it must be an excused absence.
EFFORT, positive behavior and attitude during daily practice. Good sportsmanship.
Positive behavior towards teammates, coaches and opponents is expected at all times. Athletes who have TWO warnings for unacceptable behavior will not be allowed to participate in the upcoming meet if a third warning is given. At that time, parents will be contacted.
3. Academics and behavior during the school day. Athletes are required to have passing grades or they will be placed on academic probation. We will have two grade checks; one after the first three weeks of the season and one before Cross-Country Districts.
SEASON AND PRACTICES:
Practice will be held on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday at 3-4:15pm. There will be no practice on Wednesday because of early release. However, it is recommended that athletes run for 20-30 minutes (on their own) on Wednesdays.
Cross country is a six week season. Races are 1.8 miles. At practice, athletes may run anywhere from one to four miles depending on the route. Short and long options are usually given at each practice. Practice begins at 3pm and ends at 4:15pm, so please plan on picking up your child NO LATER than 4:25 pm. There will be no adult supervision after 4:30pm.
VOLUNTEERS: We love having parent volunteers. During practices we need people to run, walk or ride their bikes with athletes. All volunteers who would like to help out with practices and meets are required to complete the TWO requirements below. You will be able to volunteer once we confirm completion of both requirements. Please contact either coach if you would like to volunteer and then the Athletic Secretary will verify your eligibility.
- Current approved district background check: District Background Check Application
- Completion of district Safe Schools Online Training
UNIFORMS: Cascade provides a cross-country uniform. Athletes are required to turn in the same uniform that was issued to them at the beginning of the season. It the athlete fails to do so, they will be charged a fine to replace the uniform. Full uniform dress is required to compete in every cross-country meet. No jewelry is allowed to be worn during cross-country meets. During practice time, only athletic shorts and appropriate shirts may be worn. Spaghetti straps or shorts with zippers are not acceptable. Inappropriate clothing will result in an unexcused absence. Appropriate running shoes are required and must be laced tightly. Please also bring a water bottle to practice.
2018 Meet Schedule:
Date: September 20th Host: Elton Gregory @ 4pm Canyon Rim Park (Bus will leave at 1:15pm)
Date: September 27th Host: Sky View @ 3:45pm Bend Pine Nursery
Date: October 4th Host: Cascade @ 4pm Cascade
Date: October 11th Host: Pacific Crest @ 4pm Pacific Crest
Date: October 18th Host Central Oregon Relays @ 4pm Pine Nursery
(Teams of four boys or four girls)- 2 races – Costumes Welcome!!!
DATE: October 23 @ 12:30
*Busing to meets OUTSIDE of Bend is provided TO AND FROM THE MEET. Busing to meets IN BEND are provided to the meet location. However, PARENTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR CHILDS TRANSPORTATION HOME FROM THE MEETS IN BEND. THERE IS NO BUSING BACK TO SCHOOL FOR MEETS IN BEND. Buses will leave for meets at 2pm unless otherwise noted above.
In addition. Students must attend school on meet day in order to participate.
COACHING STAFF: Please contact us with any questions via email or after practice ends.
Melissa Morris, CMS Cross-Country Coach
Email: [email protected]
Leah Boon, CMS Cross Country Coach
Email: [email protected]