Cross Country End of the Season Celebration for Athletes: On Tuesday, November 12th we will be having an end of the season celebration for athletes after school from 3:40-4:30pm in the Cascade Library. We will have a special treat, slideshow and some awards. Please bring your XC jersey to turn in to Mrs. Boon.
PHILOSOPHY: Our philosophy is to create and implement a positive athletic cross-country program, whereby student athletes will enjoy running, compete and work together with positive attitudes as a team while having FUN.
REQUIREMENTS TO PARTICIPATE:
- These THREE requirements must be completed before your athlete will be eligible to participate in practices and meets for the 2019-2020 school year. Please visit the CMS website for more information under the Student Life/Athletics tab at www.bend.k12.or.us/cascade
1) Registration – mandatory first step – complete the online registration through FamilyID
• FamilyID Technical Support – call 888.800.5583 or email [email protected] if you need assistance with the online registration.
2) Payment – Pay-to-Play fee is $40.00 per sport offered through Cascade Middle School. • Online payment (preferred) can be made at https://touchbase.bend.k12.or.us
• Payment can be made at the main office if necessary.
• Exception – If you are signing up for a sport through Bend Park and Recreation District, please register and pay the fee directly to BPRD.
3) Sports Physical – A current sports physical must be turned in to the main office before an athlete is eligible to participate in practices and events. The OSAA Sports Physical Form can be downloaded from the school and district websites.
• 6th and 7th graders need a physical dated 5/1/19 or later
• 8th graders need a physical dated 5/1/18 or later.
• Any physical on file dated prior to these dates will be considered expired.
Questions? Please call Brenda Spreier, Athletic Secretary, at 541.355.7004 or email at [email protected]
XC MEET ELIGIBILITY:
The following will be taken into consideration when determining an athlete’s eligibility to participate in xc meets:
- Good attendance and being on time for all practices.
If an athlete is going to miss practice, a note from a parent/guardian is required to excuse the absence or it will be considered an unexcused absence. All athletes will need to be at practice until 4:15pm or it will be considered a missed practice unless arrangements have been made. If you need to leave practice before 3:45pm, please do not attend practice that day as we will be out on a run. Please prearrange absences by emailing Coach Boon or Coach Morris.
Students must be in attendance at school all day to participate in any school-sponsored activity including athletics. The only exception to this OSAA (Oregon School Activities Association) rule is for a doctor or dentist appointment.
In addition, students are allowed ONE excused absence per week. We understand choir, soccer, and dance as well as other activities are important however, athletes MUST be at practice three out of the four days to participate in a cross country meet for the following week and it must be an excused absence.
EFFORT, positive behavior and attitude during daily practice. Good sportsmanship.
Positive behavior towards teammates, coaches and opponents is expected at all times. Athletes who have TWO warnings for unacceptable behavior will not be allowed to participate in the upcoming meet if a third warning is given. At that time, parents will be contacted.
SEASON AND PRACTICES:
Practice will be held on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday at 4-5:15pm. There will be no practice on Wednesday because of early release. However, it is recommended that athletes run for 20-30 minutes (on their own) on Wednesdays.
Cross country is a six week season. Races are 1.8 miles. At practice, athletes may run anywhere from one to four miles depending on the route. Short and long options are usually given at each practice. Practice begins at 4pm and ends at 5:15pm, so please plan on picking up your child NO LATER than 5:25 pm. There will be no adult supervision after practice.
VOLUNTEERS: We love having parent volunteers. During practices we need people to run, walk or ride their bikes with athletes. All volunteers who would like to help out with practices and meets are required to complete the TWO requirements below. You will be able to volunteer once we confirm completion of both requirements. Please contact either coach if you would like to volunteer and then the Athletic Secretary will verify your eligibility.
- Current approved district background check:District Background Check Application
- Completion of district Safe Schools Online Training
UNIFORMS: Cascade provides a cross-country uniform. Athletes are required to turn in the same uniform that was issued to them at the beginning of the season. It the athlete fails to do so, they will be charged a fine to replace the uniform. Full uniform dress is required to compete in every cross-country meet. No jewelry is allowed to be worn during cross-country meets. During practice time, only athletic shorts and appropriate shirts may be worn. Spaghetti straps or shorts with zippers are not acceptable. Inappropriate clothing will result in an unexcused absence. Appropriate running shoes are required and must be laced tightly. Please also bring a water bottle to practice.
2019 Meet Schedule
Each meet (except Districts) will have THREE races. All 6th graders will race first, then 7/8th grade girls and finally 7/8th grade boys.
Date: September 19 Host: High Desert 4:30pm
Attending: North Lake, Trinity, Sisters, Cascade, Pacific Crest, St. Francis
Date: September 26 Host: Pilot Butte 4:30pm
Attending: JCMS, Cascade, Warm Springs, High Desert, St. Francis, Three Rivers, Tumalo
Date: October 1stHost: Elton Gregory @ West Canyon Rim Redmond 3:45pm
Attending: Cascade, Sky View, 7 Peaks, Pacific Crest, High Desert
Date: October 10th Host: Cascade 4:30pm
Attending: Sky View, 7 Peaks, Tumalo, Pilot Butte, Cascades Academy, Sisters, Obsidian
Date: October 15th Host: Sky View MS Relays @ Pine Nursery 3:30pm
(Teams of four boys or four girls)- 2 races – Costumes Welcome!
DISTRICT MEET Start Time 11am
DATE: October 22nd
Location: Juniper Hills Park, Madras
Districts will be for our top 7 runners in each grade plus an alternate.
11:00 am – 6th Grade Girls, 11:25 am – 6th Grade Boys, 11:50 am – 7th Grade Girls, 12:15 pm – 7th Grade Boys, 12:40 pm – 8th Grade Girls, 1:05 pm – 8th Grade Boys, and awards to follow the final race at approximately 1:45.
*PLEASE READ: Busing to meets OUTSIDE of Bend is provided TO AND FROM THE MEET. Busing to meets in Bend are provided to the meet location. However, PARENTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR PICK UP FROM THE MEETS IN BEND. THERE IS NO BUSING BACK TO SCHOOL FOR MEETS IN BEND. Buses will leave for meets at 1:30pm unless otherwise noted above.
In addition. Students must attend school on meet day in order to participate.
COACHING STAFF: Please contact us with any questions via email or after practice ends.
Melissa Morris, CMS Cross-Country Coach
Leah Boon, CMS Cross Country Coach
Email: [email protected]