If you haven’t already, complete and submit your SLGGS, Self Eval and School Design Plan to me over winter break – or prior to!
We will begin our second-year of Learning Labs in January. Four half-day labs make up this work and it is required for all of our NEW administrators. Because we know that quality professional development is key to continuous improvement for all of us, these learning labs are open to any administrator who would like to participate. If you are interested, we ask that you commit to ALL four sessions.
Here is our PLAN for 8th grade orientation nights and ACR submission this year.
Please communicate the following reminders (from Skip) to your staff:
Over recent weeks a few incidents have occurred at different schools and classrooms that make me think that we need to review some basic but important iPad guidelines and practices. Please take some time at an upcoming staff meeting to initiate a discussion with your teachers about safe internet use and proper iPad use with their students. If everyone can work to insure that the practices below are consistently applied and communicated, our parents and community will have a positive view of how we utilize our digital devices and resources. If at any time the instructional technology department can provide advice, assistance, or coaching please don’t hesitate to reach out for help.
- Google searches – The internet is a great place but just allowing students to surf unsupervised or without an academic purpose can sometimes lead to unexpected results and consequences. Instead, have them utilize tools such as Discovery Education or World Book.
- Image searches – Searching for images should be monitored and managed closely. Just telling students to google an image should not occur. The same applies to using other search engines such as Bing. Instead, direct students to the image search page that was created by our department.
- Free Time and Rainy Day Recess – At no time should students be given “iPad Free Time” Whether it be during rainy day recess, snack time, waiting for the bus, before school, or when they finish their work, students should not have free time on the iPad. There should always be a reason for using devices so that screen time is purposeful.
- Apple Classroom – This tool allows teachers to monitor and manage student use. All teachers should know how to use this tool. If they don’t, schedule a coach to come over and conduct a staff or small group training or refresher.
- AUP and Digital Citizenship Lessons – After returning from break it would be a great time to review the AUP and the digital citizenship lessons. A mid-year refresher never hurts.
- Parent Tools – there are settings and tools that parents can use at home to manage devices. Here are two blog posts from our coaches that outline steps parents can take.
Here are a few reminders from SEAN regarding restraint and seclusion procedures:
1) Please print off the most recent version of the paperwork in the portal. We have received some copies dated back to 2017.
2) Please remember to complete the form in its entirety (even the small details please) The information we have on it is what’s required by ODE
3) Please observe that the required debriefing be held within 48 hours (to the best of your ability) after each restraint or seclusion. Remember, everyone involved in the incident must participate, in addition to a building administrator (even if they were not involved)
4) Please remember, if a student is in restraint or seclusion for 30 minutes or more, the building admin must complete and sign the Admin. Approval form which is attached to the paperwork.
5) Finally, please remember to send the parent notification letter home if a staff participates in the administering of restraint or seclusion and they are not CPI trained
Please feel free to contact Krista Baker or your building behavior coach if you have questions or need assistance with completing the forms.
Leadership Meeting – January 13, Ed Center @ 3:15
HS Principal Meeting – Tuesday, January 14 @ Jackson’s Corner (eastside) – January 31 meeting is Cancelled!
HS Admin Meeting – January 21, SHS @ 7:00 am (read and be ready to discuss Chapters 7-9 in The Culture Code.)