QUOTE OF THE WEEK
“I have been at several other schools and I can tell that staff at HDMS care and see us as kids”
~ Current HDMS 8th grader
- PBIS postcards: Postcards and labels are located on the table in the downstairs staff room. Our goal is to have all labels used, so that every child at HDMS gets a positive note from a staff member before Dec. 31
- Please be sure to use the Student Behavioral Resolution form to communicate with the Admin Team, if you choose to email us…the email needs to be addressed to all 3 Admin (Wendy, Paul, Nole)…please do not just send an email to one of us, this muddies the waters.
- Mon Dec. 17
- 2:45 Advisory lesson support in Media Center
- 5:30 AVID parent night in Thompson’s room
- Wed Dec. 19
- Advisory- MOH lesson: Service before self
- SIW- Mandatory District PD
- Thur Dec 20
- 7:15 safety team meeting
- Fri Dec. 21
- Assembly Bell Schedule
- Ugly winter sweater day
- 7:15-7:40 Cocoa served to all students in the cafeteria
BITS AND BOBS
Six students were tardy three or more times from November 30th through December 6th. There was one repeat offender who will serve lunch detention and zero egregious tardies.
All students appearing on this report for the first time received a written notice with their specific tardy data; additionally, their family was notified of this warning.
Conversational Spanish class:
The article below was posted by NPR regarding the implications of later school start time in Seattle Public Schools.
This is an important topic to reflect on:
- How does language evolve over time?
- Who gets to decide what grammar is “right”/”wrong”? Whose voice is left out of those decisions?
- How does language influence what we “know” about a person or community?
- What impact do gender-specific nouns/pronouns have on the community who speaks the language?
For older students (5th-8th?), here is a new Spanish-language article on how Google has attempted to remedy this gender bias:
For your own info, here’s info on a dual language kindergarten teacher who just published a children’s book on the topic of using gender-neutral pronouns:
- D-Wow folder in Document tab
- Behavioral Resolutions Tab