Google Drive Shortcuts

I have to admit that I love shortcuts. I mean who doesn’t? The only time I don’t use a shortcut is when I’m trying to get more steps on my Fitbit – especially when I’m competing with my sister-in-law.

Well, I have 3 shortcuts that you can use in Google Drive that I think you’re going to find useful. This allows you to not have to lift your hands from your keyboard. Are you ready?

1. P is for Preview
    • Just highlight something in your Google Drive (not a folder) and click “P” on your keyboard. Now you get a preview of the document/spreadsheet/form. You can hit escape to go back.
  2. N is for Rename
    • Just highlight something in your Google Drive (including folders) and click on “N” on your keyboard. Now you can rename the folder/document/spreadsheet/form.
  3. . is for Share (Period is for Share)
    • Just highlight something in your Google Drive (including folders) and click on “.” on your keyboard. Now you can share the folder/document/spreadsheet/form.

When you’re in Google Drive you can see even more shortcuts by clicking  ⌘ /

About Christie Boen

I have worked with Bend-La Pine since 2007. I am an Instructional Technology Coach and District Librarian.

2 Replies to “Google Drive Shortcuts”

1. I just learned a new one. If you have a file and you want to have that file in multiple folders but not as a copy, you can select the file and then click Shift + Z and you can choose where you want to add the selected file.
    That’s it. You have neither copied nor moved the files to the destination folder, you’ve merely created references or aliases to files inside the other folder. You can use the Shift+Z keyboard shortcut again to add the selected files to any other folders in your Google Drive.